Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mark 2:13-17

Jesus went out again beside the sea; the whole crowd gathered around him, and he taught them. As he was walking along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him. And as he sat at dinner in Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were also sitting with Jesus and his disciples—for there were many who followed him. When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, they said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” When Jesus heard this, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.” (Mark 2:13-17; NRSV)
Again, I hear Jesus’ call: Follow me. As it turns out, so did many other people, not only Andrew, Peter, James, John and Levi but “there were many who followed him.” Jesus seems to draw people to himself – even those who are skeptical of him. I love seeing the heart of Jesus in this passage. Jesus clearly desires relationship with those who need him. I think at the heart of this is that the “sick” or “sinners” the tax collectors, etc. do not view themselves as righteous. These “sinners,” if they were around today, would be the folks who acknowledge their need for a savior. The scribes of the Pharisees on the other hand already were righteous, following the letter of the law down to the least pen stroke – what need have they of a savior? Father, let me always acknowledge my need for your grace and mercy, and never become self reliant on my own legalistic righteousness.

No comments: