Monday, September 29, 2008

Who then is this...

I usually try to give the apostles the benefit of the doubt – it’s hard for me to look at things from their perspective – I’m not a first century Israelite, and I have a concept of who Jesus is from a “hindsight” perspective. The apostles and disciples on the other hand had to muddle through their belief, doubt and everything else first hand. So, I try not to think these guys were a bunch of idiots too much – but then I read the story of Jesus calming the storm – and it’s not the fear that makes me wonder about them (I would have been afraid also) but it’s at the end of the story when they say “’Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?’” Really – are you asking that question, you’ve been up and down Judea with Jesus, watching him heal diseases, silence and cast out unclean spirits, forgive sins, etc. I understand their amazement at Jesus stilling the storm, it’s an amazing thing – it just seems odd that Jesus calming the storm seems to come from out of nowhere to these guys – to the point that they start wondering who Jesus is. Shouldn’t that question have been raised a long time ago? Anyway – I’m just glad that the Holy Spirit came upon these guys and the light bulb finally went on because they really are amazing men of faith.

No comments: